The Wickham Wolves howled with joy last Saturday night and were able to hold on for a one-point win against Karratha Kats.

The Wolves got off to a dream start at Millars Well Oval, with Nelson Ansey kicking the first goal of the game, which was followed by another six unanswered majors.

It was not until 22 minutes in to the first term that the Kats were able to return fire with Brayden Lee slotting truly but his team still trailed by 34 points at quarter-time.

Momentum shifted in the second quarter with Karratha able to get the ball in to the hands of their forwards for three goals, while the Kats’ defence stood up and kept Wickham to just one goal and lowered the margin to 20 points at the main break.

Karratha had all of the ball in the third quarter but were unable to capitalise on possessions; they had eight scoring shots for the term but managed just one goal.

Meanwhile, Wickham made the most of their time with the ball, kicking 2.2 to lead by 21 points at the last break.

Wolves' Anto Bilic and Kats' Josh Marshall go up in the ruck in the NPFL league grand final. Picture: Pilbara News, Shannon Beattie

But the Kats were not done with, clawing and kicking a major within the first two minutes of the fourth term to get themselves within two goals, before tragedy struck the Wolves as Ash Groves went down with a horrific broken leg 13 minutes in.

Time stopped for more than 10 minutes as paramedics attended to the injured player and when play resumed, it was only a matter of minutes before the Kats kicked another goal.

A third major with only a few minutes left on the clock got Karratha within a couple of points but ultimately the siren sounded before they could edge in front.

The final score was Kats, 8.16 (64) to Wolves, 10.5 (65).

Wickham ruckman Anto Bilic was rewarded for his efforts with the most valuable player nod, while Landon Punch kicked half of the winning team’s goals.

Wolves' Ash Grove and Kats' Ben Main compete for the ball in the NPFL league grand final. Picture: Shannon Beattie

Wolves coach Glen Higgins said the team’s focus was giving themselves the best possible chance.

“The boys played awesome footy in the first quarter and kicked seven straight,” he said.

“After that, it was a tough game and both sides had their moments; in the end, it was tight, contested footy between the two half-back lines.

“The Kats were coming in the fourth quarter and they were coming hard.

“We were lucky they missed a few shots at goal in that last quarter but that was the pressure we put on them.”