A young man has been remanded in custody accused of seriously assaulting a teenager just three weeks after being handed a suspended prison term for a “cowardly” one punch attack on another victim.

Kaide Travis Maslin, 20, was charged yesterday with punching the 18-year-old man in the side of the face as he sat at the entrance to the Currambine train station about 3.00am on December 16.

At the time, Maslin was subject to an 18-month suspended sentence for punching a 17-year-old partygoer in what a judge described as “cowardly and unprovoked” attack outside an out-of-control party in Padbury in 2017.

Maslin also struck party host Ryan Ball during the melee, with the 39-year-old falling and hitting his head on the road and suffering a traumatic brain injury.

However, Maslin was cleared of causing Mr Ball grievous bodily harm, with a jury finding he acted in self-defence after the older man tried to headbutt him.

Mr Ball and his family were in the Joondalup Magistrate’s Court today to hear the new allegations against Maslin and were visibly upset after the hearing.

Police prosecutors opposed Maslin’s bid for bail, saying the alleged early morning attack was “unprovoked” and left the alleged victim with serious injuries.

It is alleged there was a conversation between Maslin and the victim before the punch.

The alleged victim was rendered momentarily unconscious and suffered two fractures to his jaw.

He needed to be hospitalised and he lost 10kg after being put on a liquid diet, the court was told.

The police prosecutor outlined Maslin’s violent history, which included other offences of a similar nature, saying “it’s not the first time he has committed unprovoked attacks on people”.

“Mr Maslin is a danger to society,” the police prosecutor said.

The court was told police believed Maslin was a flight risk, given jail was inevitable if found guilty of the charge, because he had breached the terms of his suspended imprisonment order.

Police have also flagged a possibility the charge he currently faces — assault occasioning bodily harm — may be upgraded to grievous bodily harm.

Arguing for his client to be released on bail, defence lawyer Seamus Rafferty said Maslin had complied with strict bail conditions before, including when he was on home detention for more than a year awaiting trial over the Padbury party attack.

Mr Rafferty said Maslin was willing to give a $5000 personal undertaking and a similar surety, abide by a curfew, submit to urinalysis and report to police.

He said Maslin had been complying with the conditions of his order and the programs required.

The court was told provocation may be an issue, and that the alleged incident was captured on CCTV, but it did not have any sound.

Maslin had admitted it was him in the footage, so identity would not be an issue, the court was told.

Mr Rafferty said his client was presumed innocent and still young, so to remand him in custody for a long period of time in an adult prison would be inappropriate.

However, Magistrate Jennifer Hawkins said Maslin was in a “poor position” for bail, saying it was alleged he reoffended “some mere weeks” after being handed a suspended prison term.

“You are no stranger, Mr Maslin, to violence,” she said.

Ms Hawkins said the allegation was he committed a “serious attack on a member of the community”.

She said she was “overwhelmingly” satisfied there were no conditions she could impose that would limit the risk of him reoffending if released from custody.

Outside court, Mr Ball’s brother Leon Ball said: “We always knew with Kaide Maslin we would see him again.”

“But just not so soon,” he said. “It’s incredible.”

“How are we going to stop this from happening to these victims. It’s happening time and time again,” he said.

Maslin, who has not entered a plea to the charge, will reappear in court on February 8.